About The BenRiach Distillery
John Duff built the BenRiach Distillery in 1898, on the same site as the Longmorn Distillery in Speyside. The distillery was operational for just two years before the ‘Pattison Crash’ which shuttered the doors of many of Scotland’s distilleries. While BenRiach’s distillery was closed, their floor maltings were still used by the Longmorn Distillery.
The distillery was reopened in 1965 behind the backing of Glenlivet Distillers Ltd. who was later purchased by Seagram’s in 1978. BenRiach was released for the first time as a brand in 1994. Pernod Ricard acquired Seagram’s in 2001 and closed BenRiach in 2002. An independent consortium led by Billy Walker acquired the BenRiach in 2004 and they would bottle and cask their whisky’s in the same year.
BenRiach Distillery was named ‘Whisky Distiller of the Year’ in 2009 and ‘Global Whisky Distiller of the Year’ in 2015! In 2016 Brown-Forman Corporation would take over and run BenRiach along with GlenDronach and Glenglassaugh.
Read our reviews for The BenRiach Scotch Whisky’s.